It was a lazy Sunday so Sis #3 and I decided to make a cake. We used the Betty Crocker Chocolate cake mix. The frosting was new for us, we tried a recipe that we got from iambaker.com, she is absolutely amazing and I suggest you check out the site.
Here is the recipe: From iambaker.com
- 1 bag powder sugar (two pounds or about eight cups)
- 1 cup shortening (I used original Crisco)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (use clear if want white frosting)
- 1/2 cup – 3/4 cup milk
- Cream shortening and vanilla in mixer for 2-4 minutes. Add in powder sugar, one cup at a time. If you find your mixer struggling, slowing add in milk. Use more milk for a creamy consistency, use less milk for a stiff consistency.
- Alternate Method:
- Use 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup shortening. Place room temp. butter and shortening in mixer. Put entire bag of powder sugar on top, then add vanilla and 1/2 cup milk. Turn mixer on low and mix until all ingredients are incorporated. Turn mixer up to med-high and mix for 2-4 minutes. Can add more milk to reach desired consistency.
Here are some pics from my first rose cake inspired by iambaker.com.